Friday, June 20, 2008

Recipe for Steph

This is one of my favorite meals and I usually make it in bulk and freeze a few dinners. My niece Stephanie (I know, crazy, my niece is only 5 years younger than me! :)) asked for this recipe because she is expecting her first baby (yea!) and wants to be prepared with a few meals.

I even made this last year in a dutch oven when we were camping in the Sequoia's! I had the meat pre-cooked and lined the dutch oven with tinfoil (I am all about EASY clean-up!) and cooked rice on the side. Yum, yum. Enjoy!


Tortilla Layer Bake

Ingredients:
1 lb. 93% lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 can black beans - undrained
1 can Mexicorn - undrained
1 package taco seasoning
5 flour tortillas (soft taco size)
1 can red enchilada sauce
1 cup shredded cheese (I use colby-jack every time)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 F Brown the beef over medium heat, draining any excess fat. When the beef is brown, reduce the heat to low and add the seasoning packet. Mix the meat and seasoning well. Add the black beans and the Mexicorn. Mix well. Pour some enchilada sauce into the bottom of an 8 x 8 baking dish. Place one flour tortilla on top of the enchilada sauce. Layer with some of the beef combination, a bit of cheese, and then drizzle additional enchilada sauce on top of the meat. Place another tortilla in the pan. Continue layering each tortilla with meat, cheese, and enchilada sauce until the last tortilla is placed on top. On the last tortilla, do not add any meat. Simply drizzle with enchilada sauce and cover with the remaining shredded cheese. Place casserole into the oven and bake 12-15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven. Allow to cool for 7-10 minutes and then serve. Serve over rice.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Yay! You are the best! Thanks for posting this. Seriously, I'd like you to consider moving to Utah :)